Download data from PAIR
Downloading data from PAIR [with Private PAIR access only in Pro+ & Lite+ versions]
ClaimMaster provides a tool for batch downloading Image File Wrapper (IFW) documents and bibliographic data from Private and Public Patent Application Information Retrieval (PAIR) . You can download full file histories, only specific types of documents (e.g., Office Action and corresponding applicant responses, IDSs, etc.), new Office Actions identified in electronic emails from PAIR, and various bibliographic data in Excel format.
To launch the PAIR downloading utility, perform the following steps:
- In Word 2007 or later - from the ClaimMaster Ribbon, click on the Downloading Tools menu, then select Download Data from PAIR:
- In Word 2003 or earlier - from the ClaimMaster toolbar, click on Downloading Tools, then select Download Data From PAIR
The PAIR Download window, which will come up, has the following options:
- Here you can specify the download source for your application/patent. For published references, use either Patent Center (faster) or Public PAIR.
- Use Private PAIR for downloading data/documents for unpublished application (if the application is listed under your USPTO Customer number).
- If this checkbox is selected, ClaimMaster will automatically start downloads when one or more eOfficeAction emails is dragged & dropped from Microsoft Outlook into the application # text field (see item 4). If this checkbox is not selected, at the end of the drag & drop operation, the combined text of the dragged eOfficeAction emails will be pasted into the text field, but the download will not start. If any USPTO correspondence is available in DOCX format, it will be downloaded as a separate file.
- This is the section where you type in the patent/application/publication number(s). You can specify one or more of patent #s, application #s, or publication #s as input, as long as the entries are separated by semicolons or spaces. Once the downloading process finishes, the log of the results will be displayed in this area.
- If this checkbox is selected, then all application documents from the date of the eOfficeAction will be downloaded, even the ones not listed in the eOfficeAction.
- This section specifies a document filter that will be used for selecting which IFW documents to download. If set to "All documents", all IFW documents will be downloaded for a given patent/application. Otherwise, only IFW documents of the specified type (e.g., Office Actions and Responses, Claims, IDS, etc.) will be downloaded. You can specify custom filters if you click on the "Settings" button (item #7)
- By clicking on the "Settings" button, you can specify custom documents filters for PAIR downloads.
- This section specifies a date filter that will be used for selecting which IFW documents to download. If set to "All dates", all IFW documents will be downloaded for a given patent/application. Otherwise, only IFW documents within the specified date range (e.g., last 6 months) will be downloaded.
- If this checkbox is selected, for each specified patent or application, ClaimMaster will collect various bibliographic data from the Application Data tab in PAIR (example tab shown below) and store it in the CSV document. The document will be saved to the specified Save directory (item 7) and you'll be able to open/view from the Downloaded Files table (item 11).
- If this checkbox is selected, for each specified patent or application, ClaimMaster will also collect assignment data from the "Assignments" tab in PAIR.
- This table lists the files downloaded from PAIR, either in PDF or DOCX format (in a stand-alone zip archive; (only available for Private PAIR)
- In this tab, you can specify various settings for your download operations:
- Checking this box will sort the sub-documents by their earliest filing date in each downloaded file history (only available for Private PAIR)
- If this box is checked, ClaimMaster will OCR each downloaded document (Lite+/Pro+ versions only; only available for Private PAIR)
- If this box is checked, ClaimMaster create a sub-directory for each specified patent/application in the Save directory (item 7); (only available for Private PAIR)
- If this checkbox is selected, ClaimMaster will attempt (based on the bookmarks in the Office Action) to perform OCR only on the portions of the Office Action that include the substantive rejection and the art cited by the Examiner. To save time, other portions of the document will not be OCRed (e.g., the listing of search terms used by the Examiner); (only available for Private PAIR)
- You can specify a save directory where the downloaded documents to be saved when the process completes; (only available for Private PAIR)
- Here you can specify a custom file naming template for the downloaded files using replacement fields that will be replaced with the actual bibliographic/date information for each downloaded document. For example, "[APPNUM]-[CUSTOMNUM]-[DATE]" or any other combination of the available fields. Please take care not to use characters in your template that are forbidden by Windows in file paths, such as * " / \ [ ] : ; | ,.
- Select one or more of the files in table 11 and open/print/email them using buttons on the right. You can select multiple files by dragging the mouse across each row or using Shift/control keys + left click (only available for Private PAIR)
- Press this button to start the download data from either Public or Private PAIR. If any USPTO correspondence is available in DOCX format, it will be downloaded as a separate file.