View U.S. patent family tree
Generating a patent family tree [with Private PAIR access only in Pro+ & Lite+]
ClaimMaster can generate a diagram of a family tree from the data scrubbed from the USPTO's Public or Private PAIRs, as shown below. ClaimMaster will connect to either Private or Public PAIR and attempt to reconstruct family tree for a given patent/application based on the “Continuity Data” tab in PAIR. Note that if you use Public PAIR, you may be required to pass the CAPTCHA test that is periodically administered by the Public PAIR website.
To generate a patent family tree, perform the following steps:
- In Word 2007 or later - from the ClaimMaster Ribbon, click on the Downloading Tools menu, then Visualize US Patent Family Trees:
- In Word 2003 or earlier - from the ClaimMaster toolbar, select Downloading Tools, then Visualize US Patent Family Trees (from PAIR):
Once the dialog opens, the following operations are available:
- Specify whether to use Public PAIR or Private PAIR for accessing the family data.
- Note: Private PAIR access is available only in ProPlus & LitePlus versions.
- If you are using Private PAIR, clicking this button will allow you to set the location of your PKI certificate and Private PAIR password, which will be used to automatically log you into the Private PAIR. Read here fore more details.
- This is the section where you type in the patent/application/publication number(s). You can specify one or more of patent #s, application #s, or publication #s as input, as long as the entries are separated by semicolons or spaces.
- If you are in the "PAIR info to include in the graph" tab, you can select various bibliographic information (e.g., inventor names, examiner, art unit, etc.) that can be shown in the family tree graph.
Moreover, if you switch to "Graph options..." tab, you will also have access to the following additional graph options:
- If this checkbox is selected, ClaimMaster will mark in read all patent family relationships where the first inventor names of the parent application and child application do not match.
- If this checkbox is selected, ClaimMaster will insert a color legend into the family tree (this may reduce the resolution of the family tree image somewhat).
- If this checkbox is selected, the arrows will point from child applications to parent application in the family tree (i.e., in the direction of the claimed dependency). By default, the arrows will point from the parent application to its children.
- You can specify a save directory where you want the generated patent family tree to be saved when the process completes.
- Note: when specifying multiple patent document #s, you will be expected to provide a valid save directory.
- Here you can select whether to save the patent family image as an Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file, which is the desirable format for viewing large family trees without losing image quality. SVG files are supported by Internet Explorer.
- Select this checkbox if you also want to download the patent family information & other bibliographic information in Excel format. If this option is selected, an Excel file will be created in the specified "Save Directory" location after the family mapping process completes. It will list all identified patent applications in the family, their direct children and relationships (e.g., DIV, CON, etc) and also other bibliographic data for each applications (e.g., title, issued patent #, examiner, docket number, status).
- Select this checkbox if you want ClaimMaster to download copies of the identified U.S. patents in the family into the Save directory (item #8).
- You can specify custom tags/comments for each application box, such as your internal matter number for an application. The tags will appear within the box when the family tree is generated. The tags must be specified in a CSV file, where the first column in the application number and the second column is the text of the tag. You can introduce line breaks in your tags by using "/n" expression between the lines. An example entry to the tag file would be: 99/1234567, MATTER-ID-11\nCLIENT-ID-12
- Click "Compute Tree" to begin the process. Note you will be required to manually pass the CAPTCHA test that is periodically administered by the Public PAIR website. Once you click "Compute Tree" button, a "Minimize to system tray" button will appear. It will allow you to minimize this menu to system tray while the download/crawl is ongoing. You will be notified when the process completes with a balloon pop-up, at which point the menu will again resume its normal size.