Batch downloading of patents
Batch downloading patent documents
ClaimMaster provides a tool for batch downloading various patent documents from the USPTO and EPO websites. For example, you can download PDF, text and html versions of patents and publications.
To launch the batch patent downloading utility, perform the following steps:
- In Word 2007 or later - from the ClaimMaster Ribbon, click on the Downloading Tools menu, then Batch Download Patent Data/Generate IDS Forms:
- In Word 2003 or earlier - from the ClaimMaster toolbar, select Downloading Tools, then Batch Download Patent Data/Generate IDS Forms:
Selecting the above feature will start the batch download. The following options are available from the batch patent downloading tool:
- Click this button to import one or more patent numbers directly from the open Word document.
- Click this button to import patent numbers from another file. Supported formats are .txt, .doc, .docx, and PDF files with text.
- Use this text field to batch download any patent from the USPTO or the EPO. You can specify multiple patent numbers or patent application publication numbers (e.g.., 5,888,892 or 20030177337 or WIPO formats). The number can be either a pure number string or a comma-delineated number. You can use semicolons, returns, or spaces to separate the numbers.
- Use this section to specify whether you want to download PDFs of patents/publications. You can download PDFs from the USPTO, EPO, or Google Patents (USPTO only, but these files are typically OCRed). You can also specify whether to send the downloaded results to a default printer for the Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
- Use these fields to specify whether you want to download a full text of the specification (including the claims) or just the claims and the corresponding format (Word document or HTML).
- For each downloaded document, you can specify various post-processing functions for the claims contained in that document in the Post-download Processing tab:
1. Generate claim charts (all or only independent claims)
2. Compare independent claims within each document to each other
- Check this box to create a sub-directory for each downloaded patent, so that all generated reports/charts/PDFs will be placed in that directory
- Check this box to place all downloads/results for each patent into a separate zip file.
- Check this box to perform OCR on the downloaded PDF documents
- Specify location of the directory where the post-processing documents (i.e., claim charts, comparisons, reports) will be saved.
- This table lists downloaded files (in PDF, DOCX or HTML formats)
- Select one or more of the files in table 11 and open/print/email them using buttons on the right. You can select multiple files by dragging the mouse across each row or using Shift/control keys + left click
- Press this button to download data from the USPTO/EPO
- Click "Minimize to system tray" to minimize this menu to system tray while the download is ongoing. You will be notified when the process completes with a balloon pop-up, at which point the menu will again resume its normal size.