Batch downloading of patents
Batch downloading patent documents
ClaimMaster provides a tool for batch downloading various patent documents from the USPTO and EPO websites. For example, you can download PDF, text and html versions of patents and publications.
To launch the batch patent downloading utility, perform the following steps:
- From the ClaimMaster Ribbon, click on the Downloading Tools menu, then Batch Download Patents and Publications:
Selecting the above feature will start the batch download. The following options are available from the batch patent downloading tool:
- Clicking this button will import patent numbers into the tool either directly from the open Word document or from another file.
- Depending on the selection here, ClaimMaster will import patent numbers either directly from the open Word document or, alternatively, from another file. Supported formats for file imports are .txt, .doc, .docx, and PDF files with text.
- Use this text field to batch download any patent from the USPTO or the EPO. You can specify multiple patent numbers or patent application publication numbers (e.g.., 5,888,892 or 20030177337 or WIPO formats). The number can be either a pure number string or a comma-delineated number. You can use semicolons, returns, or spaces to separate the numbers.
- By switching to this tab, you can review the download log/results of the download operation:
- Use this section to specify whether you want to download PDFs of patents/publications. You can download PDFs from the Google Patents (typically OCRed), Free Patents Online (FPO), or EPO's Espacenet.
- If this checkbox is selected, ClaimMaster will download only first pages for the specified foreign references. Otherwise, ClaimMaster will attempt to download entire patents/publications from the EPO, but you may need to pass Captcha for full downloads.
- If this option is selected, ClaimMaster will also download text of the specified patents.
- Use these fields to specify whether you want to download a full text of the specification (including the claims) or just the claims and the corresponding format (Word document or HTML).
- Use this button to set post-processing functions for each downloaded text document.
- For each downloaded document, you can specify various post-processing functions for the claims contained in that document in the Post-download Processing tab:
1. Generate claim charts (all or only independent claims)
2. Compare independent claims within each document to each other
- Press this button to begin the batch patent document download.
- This section contains a list of the downloaded files and various options.
- This table lists downloaded files (in PDF, DOCX or HTML formats). You can select multiple files in the table to email/print/open them using respective buttons on the right side of the table. You can select multiple files by dragging the mouse across each row or using Shift/control keys + left click
- Click this button to show the selected documents in the download table in their file folders.
- Click this button to open the selected documents in the download table.
- Click this button to send the selected documents in the download table to the default printer.
- Click this button to attach the selected documents in the download table to an email message.
- Switch to this tab to set various Save preferences for the download documents:
- Specify location of the directory where the post-processing documents (i.e., claim charts, comparisons, reports) will be saved.
- Check this box to create a sub-directory for each downloaded patent, so that all generated reports/charts/PDFs will be placed in that directory
- Check this box to place all downloads/results for each patent into a separate zip file.
- Check this box to perform OCR on the downloaded PDF documents