Generate Abstract from claims
Generating Abstract from method claims [+Drafting Option Only]
ClaimMaster lets you quickly create an Abstract from one of the selected method claims. The conversion process uses natural language processing (NLP) techniques, but is highly customizable based on user-defined templates for Abstract generation. To convert one of the existing method claims to the Abstract section, perform the following steps:
- From the ClaimMaster Ribbon, click on the Patent Drafting Tools menu, then select Create Abstract From Claims:
Once you select the feature from the menu above, the patent drafting window will come up. It will be "docked" to the left side of your Word document when it launches, unless automatic docking of patent drafting windows is disabled in Patent Drafting Preferences (i.e., the "Dock drafting windows" checkbox is unchecked). The following operations are available for this feature:
- If you've made any changes to the claims while this drafting window is open, click on the "Reload claims" button to re-parse the claims in the open Word document.
- Select one of the method claims to use as the base for for the generated Abstract section. Only one claim can be selected at a time.
- To help with the method claim selection, if you hover over any claim number in the claim tree, you will be able to review the text of the claim in the small tooltip window that appears below the claim number.
- This drop-down selection menu lists all of the available Abstract generation templates configured in ClaimMaster. You can only select one template at a time.
- Click this button to open settings for Abstract generation templates.
- Use this drop-down to select the device name (e.g., "device", "apparatus", or something else) for the device name placeholder in the claim preamble. This value is template-specific and will replace [DEVICENAME] field in the template.
- Press +/- buttons to adjust the font size in the preview window (item 8) for easier review.
- Shows the preview of the generated Abstract, based on the selected method claim (item 2) and Abstract templates selected above (item 4). You can make edits directly into the preview window. When you insert the generated Abstract into the document (item 14), the text from the preview window will be used during insertion. Note that re-selecting method claims (item 2) or a new template (item 4), will reset the preview window, so your edits will be lost.
- Specify whether to insert the generated Abstract into the currently open Word document or into a new Word document (to be created when "Insert Abstract" button is clicked).
- Specify whether to insert the generated Abstract into the document as part of the pre-defined section with a specific header (e.g., "Abstract", etc.).
- Press this button to add the generated Abstract (as shown the preview window) into either the currently open document or a new Word document, depending on the settings specified in item 11. The Abstract will be inserted as part of the section (if any) specified in item 10.
- Press this button to dock/undock the patent drafting window to the left side of the open Word document. If the patent drafting window is already docked, it will be undocked from the Word document and will appear floating on top of it.
- When this button is pressed, you'll be presented with a workflow window that will let you quickly move on to the next patent drafting operation, such as shown below: