Editing part numbers
Editing part numbers in the document
ClaimMaster lets you quickly edit part numbers used in the specification. In addition, you can perform various time-saving operations on the used part numbers, such as renumber them, turn-on auto-completion, or insert part numbers into the existing claims.
To edit part numbers in your documents, perform the following steps:
- From the ClaimMaster Ribbon, click on the Individual Proofing Tools menu, then select Check/Edit Part Numbers in Text:
Next, switch to "Drafting View" in the dialog that comes up. The “Drafting View” lets you create a dictionary of reference terms and add them to the document as you type. The following operations are available from the "Drafting View" of the parts browser:
- The table is organized by parts names and their corresponding numbers. The table also shows whether parts are used in claims (if parsed) and/or figures.
- Right click on the the table to bring up the menu to sort parts in ascending/descending order based on the part names or numbers.
- Pressing this button brings up a dialog that allows you to renumber reference numbers within a specified range. You can specify the starting and ending ranges for part numbers and the desired “step”, which could be either negative or positive number, as explained in more detail here.
- Pressing this button lets you add part numbers to claims, such as “system (100)”, as explained in more detail here. This is helpful for European patent applications, which often require such numbering.
- Pressing this button will remove lists of part #s, such as "system (100, 110)" from claims.
- Pressing this button will bring up a dialog that will let you bold and/or italicize selected reference numbers in the document, as explained in more detail here.
- Checking this box will enable you to perform auto-completion when typing elements in the specification. To do so, use the following shorthand: “//number”. For example, when you type “//17”, the software will automatically replace “//17” with the corresponding element name + number, such as “mechanical widget 17.”
- Check this box to enable auto-complete of part names as you type. You'll be provided with suggestions after you type-in the first 4 characters of the part name, as shown below:
- Pressing this button will insert the select part and its # into the document at the current location of the cursor.
- Use the search forward/backward buttons to search the document for the part name/number selected in the table.
- Use the filter to limit the parts table only to the specific items that contain the text/number in the filter. You can also clear the filter using the "X" button.
- Press this button to access ClaimMaster part number settings.
- To edit/add/delete multiple elements in the table at the same time, switch to "Edit All Parts" tab, where you can make edits to all of the parts listed in the table simultaneously. Once you make the edits, simply switch back to the Parts Table tab.
- Checking this box will permit ClaimMaster to update part #s in the document after any changes have been made in the table